Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Complacency Is Unacceptable

If you know me, you know that I love history. History has shaped our government, religious freedoms, laws, educational system, financial integrity and everything in between. History has also influenced everything about us; our character, politics, personality, interests and hobbies.

However, let's be clear about this truth. History, however positive or negative it's effect, does not dictate the future. History is an influence not a destiny. If this were not true Moses never would have freed the Israelites from Egypt, Nehemiah never would have rebuilt the walls of Jerusalem, Jesus wouldn't have come to die for our sins, Martin Luther would never have hung the Ninety-five Theses, Lincoln wouldn't have abolished slavery, our nation wouldn't have recovered from the Great Depression.

In the same light, those historical facts don't guaruntee absolute future successes. Choices had to be made concerning history that influenced their eventual future - our present. Although these men and women in our history made positive decisions that helped shape the world we now enjoy, the ultimate decision still lies with us. What will WE do with our history?

Let's examine our personal religious history - our personal Christianity. Many of us were blessed to be raised in a Christian home and attended church regularly. Some of us were even blessed to have experienced a personal relationship with God at a young age. Our Christian heritage is precious and meaningful. However, far too often we use our Christian heritage as a spiritual crutch - an acceptable level of spirituality. We've been there, done that - we've arrived. We become content and complacent. We assume that our history will carry us the rest of the way on this journey of life.

My question to those folks is, "When is the last time you read your Bible?" Check out Revelation 3:15-20.

I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. You say, 'I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.' But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest, and repent. Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me.

Chuck Swindoll, in his essay "Prophet Sharing," talks about this luckwarm complacency. As you read his words, ask yourself, do I find myself amoung them somewhere?

"Always evaluating where we've been...always reacting...searching for ways to settle in and find comfort on our sofa-like surroundings...yawning...slumbering in the sleepy, warm twilight of sundown...finding a great deal of security in the mediocrity and predictability of sameness...We are like chatty, laughing tourists taking snapshots of the lowlands through rose-colored filters...enjoys today's lull...we are yesterday dwellers...avoiding the reality of today."

I don't know about you, but I see this complacency everywhere...employees on the job, marriages, families, church people, and even church leaders and Pastors. Truth be told, I'm guilty of this same complacency at times. I'm pretty sure that God is sick and tired of it. I know I am. Let's do something about it! Let's not just enjoy our history, let's make history!

No comments: